Connect Central Oregon works with school and college educators to support service-learning by:
- Connecting teachers and students with community volunteer opportunities that match learning objectives
- Speaking to classes about community service-learning opportunities
- Providing service-learning informational resources, including our service-learning guide and lending library
Service-learning enriches teaching while engaging students in the community. Service-learning:
- Motivates students through real-life application of learning
- Activates multiple learning styles
- Enriches classroom discussions as students reflect on their variety of experiences
- Increases learning by building on what students know through experience
- Engages students in life-long learning and civic leadership.
Service-Learning has five key components.
Identify specific learning outcomes that can be achieved by involving students in community action and reflection.
Engage students in projects or placements that meet real community needs and that support the learning outcomes. Students can find hundreds of opportunities to serve at connectcentraloregon.org. Connect Central Oregon can also create a specific list of opportunities that fit with course learning outcomes. We recommend that teachers, students, and service site supervisors complete a Service-Learning Agreement, available by contacting us. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Guide students in examining and sharing their service experiences through journals, class discussions, creative representations, and other reflection activities. Ongoing class discussions are especially helpful for enhancing the community learning experience.
Give students opportunities to demonstrate their learning and achievements through such means as presentations, reports to the organizations where they serve, pamphlets, brochures, project websites, letters to the media, and news articles.
Use reflection and demonstration as opportunities for assessing achievement of learning and service objectives. You may also contact email@example.com to use our Agency Evaluation Form or Student Evaluation Form.
To get more information about service-learning, contact firstname.lastname@example.org